Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by CCCC
This has been an interesting thread - thanks. It has stirred some thinking here.

I have never considered the term "education' to be a noun - all verb. The development of an expansive and diverse vocabulary is important to some people as they educate themselves. They see vocabulary as a tool for learning and for precise outgoing communication. Apparently, vocabulary is less important to others - and much less important to some.

We see the criticism of those who use "big words" - and statements that those are needless, or used for egotistical reasons, etc., etc.. . Such views are natural expressions of human nature.

Some aphorisms seem to apply: "The ignorant tend to hate that which they do not understand". "Communication is a two way street" (traffic problem if the receiving party can't grasp the sender's terms). "You think you are better than me because you use those big words" (this is the mind reader). Etc.

Some folks choose to use a Mercedes, others a Porsche, others a Cadillac, others a Ford, etc. Is there something personally offensive among those choices?

Some rifle shooters choose to use the Sako, others the Barrett Fieldcraft, others the Ruger, others the Savage, etc. Is there something personally offensive among those choices?

What actually drives our negative comments about the more erudite or complex words others choose to use?

Um, isn't "education" always a noun? "Educate" would be the verb, no?
No - not in my book. It is an active process - not a product.. I suppose it is what you choose to make it.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron