I was born in Montana and lived there until I was 15 and moved to Wisconsin when my Dad moved the family to Wisconsin to take over his Dad's farm. Since then I go back to hunt Montana with my relatives there. They weren't too interested the first time I suggested a good old Wisconsin deer drive, but one day they reluctantly agreed to try one. After horsing around and jaw jacking near the pickups for awhile, I got them set up in a deep coulee to push from down low to high.

While getting into position one driver jumped a 30" buck and put him down. The drive produced another two nice bucks and a camp meat dry doe. Moved the whole gang (13) over to another good size coulee. While I was walking down a small coulee to get in position as a right wing driver, jumped a real dandy, but it was out of sight before I could get a bead on it. Saw it one more time way out of range heading for the Missouri to the north. When my watch reached the start time, I began moving and about 5 minutes later heard rocks or gravel rattle around a bend, but did not see a animal. Shortly after, 5 rifle cracks were heard. At the end of the driver there was three nice bucks down. They were part of a bachelor band of four.

Every year now the boys ask "when we going to do a good old Wisconsin deer drive"? The only thing that changed is the guys got rid of their cowboy boots. LOL

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime