Right place at the right time.

I shot my biggest buck while standing very still on a 16" tall tree stump in the middle of a knee deep clear cut. I was staring down a doe that approached and was about to blow when I noticed his antlers heading my way. I thought for sure he would turn tail when she blew. She blew and he kept coming. I slowly raised my rifle and waited for him to get about 20 yards away. The rut was my friend!

Last year my 14 year old son shot the biggest deer anyone at camp can remember. He was on an atv, riding with his buddy, heading back to camp for lunch. Noticed the deer coming off a ridge, about 100 yards away. Stopped the atv, got off, grabbed his friends rifle out of a loud plastic scabbard, loaded it, set up and took the shot at about 30 yards as the buck approached. Dropped the deer with a .300 wsm. 21-1/2" inside spread 8 point. Great deer for down in those parts.

I was surprised to find the slug just inside the hide on the opposite side of its neck. I need to ask what bullet that was. Again, the rut causes bucks to be reckless.

The woods and the water recharge my batteries.