Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
Deer drives are a blast!

x 1000% !!!

Michigan tradition is to sit on a bucket (or in a blind, or in a treestand) & wait for them to come to you. Been very successful over the decades doing that, fishing where the fish are. I'm a meat hunter and get my share of does. Not really interested in trophy hunting, but never said "no" to any buck the good Lord has put in front of me.

But NOTHING beats a good old fashioned deer drive! Hunted Iowa for 15 years with a group of locals in farm country with access to 10's of thousands of acres over three counties. Every one of them good old boys knew all the local farmers & got exclusive access. Man, did we ever pile them up! Every drive started by diagramming each drive like a football paly and assuring safety of every hunter. But it paid dividends! Slowest year for our group of 12-14 hunters was 17 deer. Typical years were 25-30 deer. Our best years was 42! But that requires a whole different level of skill, shooting at running deer. Iowa was exclusively shotgun back then, and you really had to know how to successfully lob that football downrange. Harold's pole barn looked like a meat locker with all those deer hanging from the rafters. Miss those days.