The rut is pretty much over here in eastern Va when the general firearms season starts. Nonetheless, I've still managed to kill deer during the rut - with my truck. It does make them dumb. During the rut, you see dead bucks on country roads every few miles. But even though the rut is over by the time general firearms season starts, doe in estrus scent still works well. I killed a late December deer hauling ass up a riverine that had been shot at by another hunter several hundred yards away. It got to the scent and came to a dead stop and put its nose in the air.

I've killed the most deer sitting on the same stool I use for dove hunting behind a quick set ground blind I use for turkey hunting. I want to find a packable swivel chair as my legs and butt start to get numb sitting on that stool too long.

Still hunting has been productive for me, but I only do it on private land or on remote public land if there isn't any evidence of other hunters.

On high pressure public land, I tend to hunt the areas beyond the point where I don't see any more vienna sausage cans on the ground.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 07/25/21.