Well there wasn't supposed to be a "next" rimfire but I saw this at my LGS yesterday and it sure as hell followed me home.

Savage model 64 in yep, you guessed it, .22 rimfire.

According to my research first invented and manufactured by Hubert Cooey of Cooey Arms in 1964. When the Cooey plant closed in 1979 employees & machinery moved to Lakefield Arms Company who in turn was bought by Savage.

Savage started manufacturing them in 1995, first year production had no letter designation following the "Model 64" on the barrel and this is a first year production gun. Package gun apparently with no iron sights and a cheap China scope, but the scope isn't bad, surprised me.

Had a little surface rust on the barrel near the receiver, I assume from being stored in a closet with no air circulation but cleaned up easily. Bore scope showed some rust in the barrel also but JB Bore Paste took care of that and I Dyna Bore coated it.

Reviews claim this model has a free floated barrel, but this gun does not, I can get a dollar bill down about a half inch evenly before it stops on both sides of the barrel.

At 96 degrees here with humidity you could cut with a butter knife I'll wait for a better day to go to the range and see how it shoots.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people