Originally Posted by Fraser
I'm curious when others have used a .30-30 and regretted the choice. What didn't it do well for its intended and reasonable use?

It is a bit of a circular question really: does the .30-30 reasonably suit the uses for which it is reasonably suited? How could the answer be anything other than yes?

It'd be more useful to ask "to what do you think the .30-30 is reasonably suited, based on your own experience? What didn't it seem to suit?"

FWIW I've found my .30-30 perfectly well suited to medium-size deer (fallow) and pigs at the sort of range I usually shoot them.

Like anything you need to use it within its capabilities. I don't criticise my bow for the fact that I want to be within 40 yards to make a killing shot with it, I just make sure I get close enough, and enjoy the challenge.

My own .30-30 was built at about the end of the 19th century. With a peep sight and a 26" barrel it is very accurate, and in decent light I can reach out to maybe 200 yards, which accounts for the great majority of my shots on deer and pigs. It does what it says on the tin.