Originally Posted by JBabcock
Originally Posted by okie john
I hunt on tree farms in the Pacific Northwest. You can look one direction and see prime 30-30 country then turn 180 degrees and need a sniper rifle. A scoped 308 or 30-06 is a far more versatile choice around here.

Okie John

I can’t tell you how many articles I’ve read by “gun writers” who claim you need a brush buster to hunt the PNW. And what you just described is exactly what I’ve experienced. Pretty easy to have a 300 yard shot present it’s self.

I’ve always wanted a 30-30 but I’ve never owned one. I doubt I’d ever use one to hunt with though because of what Okie John described.

About the only exception is hunting private land with no clearcuts and you don't plan to leave the property. But I hunt places like that with a revolver.

You're right about the gun writers leading people astray. I once hunted Roosevelt elk in the rain forest with a guy from Idaho who showed up with a 35 Whelen. The only shot he got was around 300 yards and he passed it up. He knew the cartridge was capable of making that shot but he wasn't sure that he could make it.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 07/23/21.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.