As a young teenager I dropped my first buck with a borrowed M64 .30-30 and he just rolled down the hill stone dead. Then as a 16 year old when I was "all grown up", a .30-30 just wasn't harry chested enough for me because every grown up knew that a person needed a .30-06 to properly hunt deer. In later years when lighter seemed righter when I was driving green swamps for the old guys, a lever action .30-30 just didn't shoulder as well as say my 99F or my 141, 760 or 742. A couple guys in camp never got the memo that there might be something else better, so they bought those Trapper M94's that we called the "Daisy deer rifles". Fast forward to driving a nice buck out in front of Bob with his short sighting radius, open sighted Daisy and he only winged it low just in front of the hind leg. Half a day, a mile and a stream crossing later I caught up with it running out the stream bottom and smote the 11 pointer correctly with my .308. I always figured that I could shoot a close deer with a rifle that shot far, but that I couldn't shoot a far deer with a rifle that shot close.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory