I grew up with a Mod 94 Classic Carbine. SE Texas, we used the 150 corlokt factory loads. Our deer were small ( even a "huge" buck went about 140 pounds, most went around 90pounds. We shot hogs behind the ear or through the shoulders if further out. "The rifle" the 30-30 was in was unsuitable for me for shots over 100yds. Its chamber was oval ( a factory Friday night gun) brass had a distinctive bulge. I could shoot the head off a squirrel at 30 yds and hit a Skoal can at 50, but only get 6" groups at 100 from a rest (pickup hood) and only "nicked: an MT antifreeze jug, from the sit, at 150yds...with 5 shots! I saw my uncle shoot/kill a doe right at 300yds with his M94/irons, so the round is just fine....the platform is limited is all. I have always found the Marlins to be more accurate with any bullet weight. I've loaded 110 30 carbine bullets to 190 Hawks in them. Plus, you can put a Wild West Happy Trigger in the Marlin, and scope it! Now your talking 300yd shots if one can shoot. I don't have one now as Life is too short, I MUST play with something new! ha

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 07/23/21.