A woman did not own her own body, from the moment of birth a mother did not own her own children, a father could do nothing to protect them. Families were subject to being torn asunder at any time. Slaves lived in a state of life imprisonment from the moment of birth, consigned to a life of labor, often hard labor.

One quarter of the population of our Southern States lived that way, slaves were actual majorities of the population in South Carolina and Mississippi.

Yep, its an indelible stain upon our collective history. Doesn’t matter about the Middle East, Africa, Brazil etc etc, we are supposed to live up to our own values, not theirs.

We are paying for that sin until this very day.

OTOH, there hasn’t been legal slavery here since 1865, and the descendants of those slaves now get to live in what is still the greatest Nation the world has ever seen. I can relate, I’m Irish Catholic, if the Brits hadn’t colonized us in the past I might not be here.

Slavery persisted here because it was profitable, those who constantly bring the topic up to divide us do so because it profits them.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744