Originally Posted by strikeu
you almost can't purchase a decent house in a respectable neighborhood that's safe and clean in Las Vegas without belonging to a HOA.

Also, any beach condo you buy in Alabama or the Florida panhandle is going to have HOA management. I drive a RAM 3500 Dually and a F-250 w the 7.3.

About the same here in SW Florida. If you cant buy a huge tract of land to shield your property from redneck heaven next door the skitters will ruin any enjoyment you get out of owning a rural property.

I live in a nice, clean very peaceful , pretty subdivision with a HOA . Behind my place is a large lake and a nice church on the other side. Oak trees and palms everywhere. I never have had a problem. Haven't seen a Subaru around here lately plenty of them small suv vehicles. I drive a Chevy Silverado. Plenty of pickup parked around the block if that helps. This subdivision is full of snowbirds so many of the residents are gone from easter to thanksgiving.

Back where and when I grew up you could buy a nice rural farm property. These days a farm property is out of reach for most people if you can even find one for sale and rural living mostly means a small lot along a rural road next to a unmaintained house with six of the guys last seven ford taurus parked in the front lawn on blocks and weeds growing through the hood.

At my age Im not all that interested in working all week and spending the weekend repairing my property. My living situation affords me the ability to toss my gear in my truck and go on a hunting or fishing trip by just locking the door and turning the water off at the house. Moving somewhere else aint a good option for my career at my age. I plan to take more trips even than I do now over the next decade and I don't want to be worrying about my property or animals when Im gone. Im single and likely to remain that way so theres no one back home keeping things going when I am gone.
My lifestyle and living in suburbia dont work for everyone but I enjoy it greatly.

I find many people that run into trouble with the hoa are those that didn't take the time to read the docs before they bought and those folks that try and use the property in an inappropriate way. If you have a lot of toys the way I live aint for you. I rent a warehouse for cheap in Alabama near where I hunt and keep my atvs and a lot of hunting gear up there. I lock the doors and come and go as I please.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.