Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Wasps are beneficial insects.

I'd love to see pics of these "Big red angry wasps".

Or it might not have happened? wink

Hey Jim, do you folks have any onions in the garden? I found wasps of all types love them when they go to flowering. Spider killer wasps, little yellow suckers, regular old yeller jackets, probably a cicada killer or two on them. Saw a honey bee (one of mine??) on them today even.

And one of my favorite things is to see them crawling under cabbage leaves and coming out with a caterpillar.

I generally leave them nests alone unless they're near a doorway that gets used all the time, or near the tools in the shed.

Then again, I'm not allergic to their stings. Just a bit worse than a bee sting and keeping bees will get one stung on occasion.

I haven't had onions growing for a few years.

Thats interesting though.

Most adult wasps dont eat the prey they kill. That stuff is for the young.

They eat nectar.

Yep, like their cousins in my hives, the protein goes to the kids. But they have to fuel themselves with something.

I've still got a couple that haven't closed up and set seed. I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow, maybe one with two or three species on it at the same time.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?