Houston1: If I were starting out Varmint and predator Hunting today instead of 64 years ago (I started "Varminting" when I was 10!) instead of buying dozens and dozens of Rifles/cartridges in various configurations over those 6+ decades I would stick with ONE cartridge and that would be the 204 Ruger!
PERIOD!
The 204 Ruger in my experience and estimation is THE finest "all-around" Varmint and predator cartridge there is.
Again, PERIOD!
I Hunt Varmints and predators year round at all hours of the day and night and I have yet to find something "I" need done that the 204 Ruger cartridge doesn't accomplish with aplomb.
AND... the 204 Ruger is simply "inherently" accurate - combine that with a very FLAT trajectory and no recoil and there you have it.
Plus I am finding the 204 Ruger is pleasingly easy on barrels!
I currently own and shoot 10 (ten) heavy barrel Rifles in caliber 204 Ruger and every one of them has easily attained excellent accuracy.
I have been using the 204 Ruger since it first came on scene and I am convinced it is tops in the "all-around" Varmint and predator category.
The past 17+ years Hunting predators and Varmints with the 204 Ruger has convinced me and many people I have recommended it to that it is indeed an exceptionally good choice for those endeavors!
Best of luck to you if you decide to try a Rifle in 204 Ruger.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I feel I should expound just a touch on the low recoil of the 204 Ruger - it enhances my Colony Varminting to see where the bullet impacts on longer shots and that is easily accomplished with the 204 Ruger - much easier and more often than even when I use my 223 Remingtons and other "light recoiling" Rifles calibers.