Torqued: Your observations reminds me of my "hesitancy" back when the wonderful 17 Remington came along (1971) and how long I lingered "thinking about trying one".
Finally nearly two decades later I "decided" to try one - and I bemoaned myself for waiting so long to get and use one.
Lesson learned - that "new" 17 Remington I found out really does a lot of things really well.
So when the 204 Ruger came out in 2,004 I bought one (Ruger 77 V/T) right away - and to say I was impressed (with the accuracy, ballistics and lethality afield) would be an understatement.
I was so impressed with the accuracy I obtained (with factory ammo!) that when my "homies" at Big Green came out later that year with their heavy barrel Remington 700 VLS in 204 Ruger I bought one of those also.
The accuracy was even better with this addition - again, with factory ammo, as that was all that was available back in 2,004.
I am thankful that I DID jump on the "204 Ruger bandwagon" right away - its been tons of fun and satisfaction ever since.
Long live the 204 Ruger!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy