Dad bought a .308 M88 in 58. He bought me a .330 Savage. He is gone now but his M88 is the property of my grandson.

I used dads Model 88 off and on too. We had a trigger job done and put on a receiver sight and eventually a 2-7 Leupold.

In the Marines I used the M-14, Garand and M-16. The M-14's I used were amazing. I still prefer them to othe battle rifles.

After I got out of the Marines in 70 I ended up buying a 99E in .308 and hunted it for about five years. I killed deer and elk with it but I sold it and bought an '06. I found it easier to get the velocities I wanted with 180 gr bullets and , for me, easier to reload.

I was without a .308 for about three years and didn't miss it. Eventually I got dads .308 and had it around for a loaner spare.

When I gave it to my oldest boy, I asked that he pass it down to his son at the appropriate time and he has.

Being fresh out of .308's and wanting to have something in that chambering I bought a blued 16 in GSR. My best hunting buddy fell in love with it and bought it off me.

I replaced it with a SS 18.3 inch GSR So yeah, I guess the .308 is venerable to me too.