I'd steer clear of the Dickinson guns. I've read way too many issues with them to make me purchase one. If you really wanted a modern made SxS, I'd look at the FAIR Iside. Personally, I'd buy a nice condition American classic ala Parker, Fox, LC Smith, etc and restore it. I'd really like to get a 16 gauge Fox Sterlingworth and build a custom on it. Maybe someday.

My current grouse guns consist of a Browning Citori Upland Special 20 gauge and a Benelli Ultralight 28 gauge. Which I just got the Benelli a few weeks ago and haven't hunted it yet.

To me, grouse guns are svelte sub gauges with English straight grip stocks and slim forends. Grouse hunting here in Maine is a lot more snap shooting than swinging through birds. So I like shorter, handier barrels that I can pull up fast in a covert and snap a shot off. My Citori has 24" barrels. A real bad gun to use on clays, but it's a hunting machine for me.

I see some redundancy if you get the Ultralight as you have a Montefeltro already. Not a whole lot of difference there between the two models other than a little shorter barrel and mag tube. I'd be patient and find a good Sterlingworth that has stocks that fit you. The early Philadelphia guns had a lot of drop in them and don't fit for most shooters. A 28" SxS is going to probably be like a 24" auto or pump so keep that in mind.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."