My favorite in '21 was a Beretta A400 28 ga Xplor. 5#8oz of very dynamic handling. It's the only sub 6# gun I ever broke 25 at skeet with. We hunt grouse...ruffs and blues in the timber and it worked well. Some shartails in a more open country along with Chukars in the wide open. Used the Mod choke all fall with 7/8 oz of 6 or 7.5 lead shot reloads.

Other shotguns that have held the role of fall grouse (bird) guns at the house include a Grulla 20 ga SxS (sidelock, twin trigger, 28" with IC & Mod chokes), the AYA #2 version of the Grulla (one in 20 ga and another in 16 ga), a Beretta 686 20 ga with 28" barrels and a straight grip Cole's stock (pretty), a CZ Bobwhite .410, twin trigger, w/26" barrels choked IC & Mod. The little .410 punches above its weight for me but you want 3" shells and short shots.

'22 possibly might see a 1934 Winchester Model 12 20 ga in the woods. The 26" barrel is marked Modified but it checks out at 0.009" of constriction or IC. Ideal woods shotgun in my mind. And that 28 ga Beretta Auto is tough to beat for carrying and handling, and ultimately putting grouse in the strap vest.

Last edited by Kurt52; 03/31/22.