Originally Posted by jar
Originally Posted by 12344mag
[Linked Image from static2.hotcarsimages.com]

One day when I was 18 two of these passed me on Telegraph rd doing at least 140, one on each side, the noise was deafening and they shook my car like it was a rag doll.

Ever since then the Superbird has been a dream.
in 1981 my best friend bought one of these sum bitches , it was that blue with the white interior, 440 6pack with the pistol grip 4 speed transmition. one day we decided to go to bentonville ar. he had worked all night and wanted me to drive. we were just south of kansas city mo on 71 hwy and i had that thing laid out going south at about 140mph and met a mo hyw patrol and he was headed north. I let off the gas and brought her down to about 70 mph and sure enough here comes that patrolman ! lights on and balls out! I pulled over woke up my buddy, told him what was happening. that cop came to the drivers window and wanted to see in the trunk. he never ask for a license or anything . when we opened the trunk he told us that he had a car just like this one and was looking for a certain mark ( scratch ) in there. he said that while he was in the service his mother made his dad sell the car and he was just wanting to see if this one was his old car. he never said a word to us about how fast we were going. just told us to take care of that car ! i was sure I was going to catch hell ! those were the days !

Former coworker and friend (now deceased) was a Mopar collector, but primarily Superbirds and Daytonas and usually kept several in different colors and configurations on hand for years. At one time he owned easily over a dozen in various colors and configurations, including some with hemi engines. His dad had owned a Mopar dealership back in the day so he grew up loving muscle cars and especially the Plymouth / Dodge "wing" cars He used to get ribbed pretty hard about being such a "wing-car" nut . He told me though they can laugh now but those "fuggly wing-cars" were his retirement fund. He showed me a letter he got from the owner of major Mopar dealership located in Michigan once wanting to buy everything Mopar / Mopar related he had and to "name his price".