Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
Originally Posted by BayouRover

Why are you so critical about how or why others choose to spend or might want to spend their own money on cars?

I like fast street/highway cars for driving because for me they are fun to drive, but I've never fantasized about being a Formula 3 racer. To each their own.

Not critically condescending, but maybe critically thinking. I had "fast street/highway" vehicles and I thought critically about that. I mean, I used critical thinking. Again, the point of that criticality isn't to condescend what you think is fun, but to ask myself, "what's the point?" "Is there something to this other than a simple amusement?" If you've ever had a really fast vehicle, you've probably been confronted with the dearth of skill to use it anywhere near its potential. It's a kind of absurdity. I never fantasized about just possessing a race car, but I long ago decided I would rather have the skill to drive what I have than a more impressive vehicle without the skill to use it to any meaningfully different effect.

There's nothing remarkable about Formula 3. I suppose I could have posted a Formula 1 car but my point wasn't about some ultimate race car. I could have just as easily posted a kart, a Formula 500, or even a Sprint Car. To me, the racing ethos is more meaningful than mere baubles that middle-aged, middle-class men lust after in a pursuit to make their dull life more "fun." The problem with it, that is the racing ethos, is that it tends to be all-consuming.

"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." - Michael Delany (Steve McQueen), Le Mans

If you ever spent more than a little money on cars, you'll be thinking pretty critically about it too. Thinking about why you do that and whether it makes any kind of sense is not something that's easy to get out of such a one's mind.

LOL..!! You try to paint life in broad strokes with an itty-bitty brush.

Who beside you with your "insight" has determined that I don't learn how to drive the cars I've owned? I bet you're a real charmer in a social setting.

btw - Every time I buy a new car with some gusto attached, I attend a professionally owned behind the wheel 3-day closed course professional driving training class where I learn the strengths and weaknesses of the vehicle I bought by driving it while having the expertise of a professional driver in the passenger seat. It's a fun-filled long weekend that I look forward to. And it goes far beyond just reading the owners manual while watching a baseball game on TV.

It definitely doesn't give me the freedom to do dumb things on a public road in any manner, such as racing, but I do learn and know about the vehicle that I'm driving. And my wife feels fully comfortable with what I do while she's in the passenger seat. In addition, it only adds to my life behind the steering wheel. The rest of my life is far fuller with family and friends where I have no need to "lust after (anything) in a pursuit to make their (my) dull life more "fun".

Sheesh.......... laugh

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ