Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by pullit

An easy 3150 in my P64 Featherweight with 130 grain Tipped Bear
Thanks for the info. I am getting 3067 with IMR 4350 and NBT 130's. I know R26 is "magic" with heavier bullets but was not sure what it would do with lighter ones. I know ever rifle is different but if everything held true it looks like about a 78 FPS gain to switch.

I don’t know if I gain much over your load for hunting but I just wanted to try it. Bob said back in the day he used some RL25 and got good speed so I decided to give 26 a whirl. Works fine but I’m not sure I’d monkey with it if your 4350 load shoots great.

Originally Posted by Seafire
I'm probably the only guy on the planet that would be reaching for 4064 and a 140 gr Ballistic Tip, for a 270 hunting round.

Nope you aren’t the only guy. Usually with any new 270 that’s the first load I’ve tried to see if the gun would shoot. Usually it’s a 2900 FPS load and with excellent accuracy in any sorta straight rifle.

Thanks Beretz.....2900 fps is just fine by me.... to achieve the equivalent point of impact of faster 4350 and 4831 loads, all I have to do is raise my scope elevation by two clicks and I am right there... but 4064 never fails to be accurate unless something is really out of line with the rifle...

but that load, and the rifle being a Model 70 Sporter, and the scope on top being a Leupold 3 x 9.. the world just seems all in balance....

same bullet and change the powder charge to 30 grains of RL 7 or 4198, makes the 270 a very light recoiling rifle quite capable of dropping any deer on the planet at 250 yds or less.... with a little practice 300 yds is real do'able also....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez