Well, you fellas are certainly free to use whatever you wish.

FWIW, a learned shotgun shooter does not "aim". Assuming one has done their homework and the gun fits, it is pointed, nothing more or less and as a result there is little if any memory of the barrel/target picture after the boom. Daytime, nighttime makes no difference. I would not rely on a 2-shooter, there are many styles out there that hold 5 or more. That said, I walked into a wad of hogs some years back with a H&R Topper .410 and a fist full of slugs. The Topper is a SS break action gun. 4 were dead at the scene and one waddled off somewhere else to kick the bucket. Why? Well, the first shot was at a stationary target, the rest were on the run and the 4th shot was not quite perfect. I had one in the chamber and 4 between my fingers and thumb. It ran off behind some brush before I could pull more ammo out of my pocket and I had to defend myself from #5. Li'l bastid got blood all over my jeans. Don't go into a gunfight with a fella wielding a break action shotgun and think you won after he fires twice. Might be a surprise awaiting.

I imagine most of you gents are looking at your own setting when talking about this stuff and I understand that. My own is such that it would be difficult to have a visual which provided a shot much beyond 50 yards. Long way of saying a load of heavy shot will work inside or outside, matters not one whit. If I run out of ammo for the scattergun I do have a jam-o-matic for backup.

I was fiddling around awhile back with an old damascus 12 bore double loaded with brass shells and #4 buck at the 20 yard line. Full choke on both tubes and they shot about the same patterns to the same pattern center and I considered it rather enjoyable. 30" circle on the target. I suspect that gun and load would be adequate out to around 50 yards. BTW, buckshot in the house is unnecessary and ill advised.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Thing of it is that what most don't realize is that different barrel/choke/load combinations don't always do what one might expect. I have another 12 ga that with the FC barrel will pattern a load of 00 buck in about 6" at 30 yards. Same gun with the IC barrel patterns more in line with expectations, but if one loads shells with a light shot charge (7/8oz) it will shoot 7-1/2/8/9 birdshot into absurdly small patterns at 30 yards. Somewhere in the 15"-20" size. They are all different and have many quirks.

Have fun, don't take any prisoners. They just bitch, bitch, bitch.....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain