Gents, Many thanks for all of these responses! You’ve given good information and a lot for me to think about.

Feeding is an important concern because the Whitworths were built on a standard length commercial FN action rather than a magnum action. I don’t know, but that might make this rifle more susceptible to feeding issues if the bullets are at all problematic. An older version of a solid that feeds smoothly will do a lot more good than the latest technology that won’t.

My rifle is very accurate with 270 and 300 grain TSXs and 300 grain Swift A-Frames.

I’m sure African PHs have differing opinions like most of us. I’ve read Kevin Robertson’s book, “Africa’s Most Dangerous,” and he is adamant about solids in the magazine. But that book was copyrighted in 2007, and there’s been a lot of development and experience since then.

I still prefer using the 270 grain TSX. In 2015 I shot a Kudu with my load at what the PH said was 218 meters, so almost 240 yards. The bull was severely quartering. The bullet went in behind the left ribs, tore up the right lung, broke the right shoulder, and was found right under the skin. It was a perfect mushroom and weighted 269.5 grains when I got it home.

I’ve looked around and find the Woodleigh Hydroshocks, Cutting Edge solids, and Swift Breakaways are available in different places. I’m tempted to order the cutting edge bullets to have something on my shelf that would likely feed well. But the technology of the others is very tempting too. But I hate to spend a fortune on bullets I hope to avoid using. We’re all different personalities. If my PH insists on solids, I’ll humor him.

Al

Spend your life wisely.