Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
It's your hunt. Your PHs favorite ammo will be whatever is on your belt because he's hoping that you will give them to you on your way out. Besides; PH's can't agree on what's best between themselves. Why would you think that you stumbled on the one that was right?

Solids suck, unless you're hunting elephant.

This.

But even some PHs I've hunted with have said elephants in at some areas can be easily handled with today's expanding bullets. I hunted in Tanzania's Selous in 2011, where elephants are somewhat smaller than in other parts of Africa, because the Selous is pretty hot during safari season. This follows the general biological Bergmann's Rule, which states that rhe same animals in cooler climates tend to be larger, and in warmer climates smaller.

I didn't hunt elephant, but did find those in the Selous smaller than I'd encountered in warmer parts of Africa. Which is why my very experienced PH Paddy Curtis says that any of today's better expanding bullets (including Nosler Partitions) are plenty for Selous bulls, whether for head or heart shots.

Elgin Gates killed a huge elephant 🐘 with a 300 Weatherby shooting Noseler Partitions

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first