Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
But, hunters generally don't buck their PH's recommendations, even though they may know better.

Some here have said, it's your hunt, you dictate. That's easier said than done, especially with a first time hunter.

As has been rehashed numerous times here, PH's are not always gun guys, often know less technical info about ordinance than their client.

I've not been over there, no plans to go. But, good friends have been. And, I've loaded PG and DG ammo..

DF

As I said earlier, we all have different personalities. I would not want to start off a several day hunt with a knock down argument with my PH. As long as I think what he wants me to do will work, I’ll humor him. If he wants something different than what I would choose, I’m most likely to think that it is overkill. It’s no big deal to me to load 300 grain instead of 270 grain bullets. I worked up accurate loads for 300 grain TSXs and A-Frames several years ago. The issue with solids in the magazine is trickier because I think an expanding solid will do the job. But I ought to be able to load a solid to minute of Buffalo. I know things can happen, but I believe I have the discipline to not take a first shot unless it looks right. I’ve never hunted Buffalo, but I have hunted lots of things on four continents.

Al

Spend your life wisely.