Originally Posted by kwg020
I worked in a high school for 6 years as an SRO. I can attest to the loss of shop classes and the pushing of college diploma's. It's been 12 years since I retired. I certainly hope the attitude has changed. I still have not seen new lathes, mills or welders show up yet. but, we do have a community college in town and it would be possible to work a deal with them, if they would.

kwg

a friend of mine who is in education and I were talking about renting out space at a local trade school and run a for profit program where anyone interested could sign up to take these two week mini classes. I thought there would be interest to charge a couple of hundred dollars and teach classes like basic welding, plumbing, carpentry, electrical work, roofing, basic car maintenance, computer building and repair, mower maintenance - topics like that. They might be 4 - 8 classes that would be 2 hours each with hands on.

I think we ultimately decided that we'd be competing with youtube and not pull it off but I still like the idea.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings