Pugs;
Good morning to you sir, I trust all is going according to plan thus far today and all in your world are well.

Thanks so much for posting the photo of one of my favorite rifles ever to appear on our cyber 'Fire. The lines on it to me are "just right" and I'm guessing it'd be as close to the proverbial magic wand for hunting the mountains behind my house as it is in your part of the world.

As we've discussed before too, I'm making a fairly educated guess thinking that, as we've been fooling with carbines in that chambering for close to 40 years here.

This is the 1903 Carl Gustav 96 which I reworked for my late father in the early '80's, which was passed down to our eldest daughter who continues to hunt with it today.

[Linked Image]

That one has a 20" barrel and since we load it to 96 pressures it's very well behaved to shoot. I was so impressed how it worked on local mulie and whitetail bucks that I unscrewed the .270 barrel from my walking around rifle and had a 21" Swede military barrel grafted onto it, which isn't a frugal, practical or logical thing to do with a 98 action, nonetheless that's what I did.

[Linked Image]

She's been running 130gr TSX in her carbine and we've yet to catch one. All the bucks she's shot have needed exactly one bullet too. My 6.5x55 has accounted for 3 local mulie bucks since I had it done, that took a pair of 120gr TTSX and one 120gr GMX to accomplish by the way.

Anyways to the OP, we've been playing with short barreled hunting rifles both on the Saskatchewan prairies and in the BC mountains for close to 40 years now. I believe if we thought they were a handicap in the applications we've used them for, we likely would have stopped but as always there's a lot of skidder trails and logging roads headed towards Mecca.

All the best to you Pugs, thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"