Originally Posted by T_Inman
That "mid way" point of bolt closure is more like 7/8 way up and this is the first I have heard of carrying in that position.

I own 17+ Remington 700s and 721s... I lift my bolt about 1/2" (end of bolt knob) when I am in the field hunting with a hot chamber. My index finger is under the outer edge of the bolt knob often. Lug tension is excellent on all of my rifles... this has never been a problem.

I honestly have no idea how a bolt lifted 7/8 of the way would not be a huge problem, but I am not judging... just don't understand.

If I am on the move and am inclined to sling my rifle for a long walk... I either go cold chamber or close the bolt and put the safety on.

If I am going into a tree stand it is cold EVERY TIME up and down... that would be the same in a nasty blow down that is a PITA to cross.

I also typically hunt alone... I have found large groups of people arguing about stupid chit... does alert game.

I swear some of you guys would argue about how to put on a sock.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.