Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by T_Inman
That "mid way" point of bolt closure is more like 7/8 way up and this is the first I have heard of carrying in that position.

I own 17+ Remington 700s and 721s... I lift my bolt about 1/2" (end of bolt knob) when I am in the field hunting with a hot chamber. My index finger is under the outer edge of the bolt knob often. Lug tension is excellent on all of my rifles... this has never been a problem.

I honestly have no idea how a bolt lifted 7/8 of the way would not be a huge problem, but I am not judging... just don't understand.

If I am on the move and am inclined to sling my rifle for a long walk... I either go cold chamber or close the bolt and put the safety on.

If I am going into a tree stand it is cold EVERY TIME up and down... that would be the same in a nasty blow down that is a PITA to cross.

I also typically hunt alone... I have found large groups of people arguing about stupid chit... does alert game.

I swear some of you guys would argue about how to put on a sock.

Left foot first? Or right?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?