Originally Posted by mjbgalt
I assume- and am right- that most people do carry a balance and most people do pay interest on cards. If they didn't there would be no credit card industry.

A little over 50% of all credit card holders carry a balance every month. That's only a part of the way the credit card industry makes money, they charge merchants a roughly 3% fee on purchases. That's why some businesses add a 3% credit card fee, to recoup the money the credit card company charges them. Since my visa card gives me cash back I use it for most purchases, I get part of that 3% fee back from the credit card. If there's a difference in price between cash and credit card then I pay cash. It's strictly a financial decision for me, I don't care which one I use but if using the card saves me 1.5% then I use the card. I've never carried a balance on my credit card or paid a dime of interest.

I don't have a use for an AMEX platinum card but if one saved me money then I'd have one. That's what many guys here are trying to tell you, yes the card initially costs them $685 but they save more than that by using it so in the end it saves them money. That's a smart financial decision, not a dumb one. You seem stuck on the notion that guys are carrying balances on these cards, I can guarantee you that the vast majority of guys are not. What makes sense for you financially can be vastly different from how a business person operates.