There is no right or wrong answer to shooting or preserving. I’d have to believe nearly all gun collectors are also shooters. It was likely hunting or some other target sport that sparked their interest.

I like to collect guns and round out collections the same way others collect coins or exotic cars that see no use if coins or limited careful use if an exotic car. Ownership and collecting is fun in its own right. Next to the market or real estate firearms are one of the better investment to spend your money on. Unlike real estate with tenants the guns are hassle free and unlike the market a gun collection is something tangible and enjoyable to own.

Twenty or so guns at any one time would be enough to cover any hunting or range need that I have pretty easily. Most of us here probably have a whole lot more than that. The big collectors will have several versions of the same gun and chambering to round out finishes, barrel lengths ect. At some point how many of them do you need or have time shoot frequently if at all? That’s what favorite hunting/carry/range guns are for and are a small overall percentage of a collection unless you stop buying when all of your bases are well covered. The rest are owned for other reasons than need and might get shot or might be left NIB. There’s only so many action types and same or similar chamberings to shoot before it all becomes about the same without much pressing need to take it out to range often. I’d just as soon leave some of those as new or fairly close to it to my kids to sell some day. Having said that my favorite guns are all well taken care of guns that I use the most.

I like keeping my gear in as close to new condition as feasible be it a truck, ATV, or gun. I think we all maintain are guns as well or better than most but some guys like to see the bluing or case hardening wear off as a reminder of good times and others except it as part of use and good times but try to minimize it to the extent possible. Nothing wrong with either.