Originally Posted by ballyhoo
I need some advice from the S&W collectors. I have been in the market for a model 17 and picked a 17-8 Lew Horton heritage series with the case colored frame from the performance center, at a good price. This came with box, manual, and spent shell. Condition is 99% with just a light drag line. I do not have safe queens and was wondering if I should get a set of target grips for this and start shooting it, or try to make a few bucks and buy a shooter. From reading, it appears that the 17-8 is the least desirable series but this one has a steel 6 shot cylinder and people that have shot them say they are excellent shooters. Any and all opinions welcome.
Thanks

Shoot it or sell it to someone to avoid 50%+/- reduction in value do to range use. With few exceptions guns are not good investment do to regulations governing purchase and sale. Example of exception would be John Rigby SxS external hammer gun chambered for .450-400 NE or similar cartridge in very good original condition. This is something uncommon (not many made as manufacturer focused on magazine rifles or some hammerless SxS but fewer external hammer guns) that a well connected fella would buy from outside of USA. Most guns are not worth the bother. Magazine rifle is name used for very expensive made to order bolt action rifle.
When it comes to handguns one must focus on something prized everywhere guns are owned and sold. One example would be Swiss made P210, although I happen to think those made in Germany were better. S&W Model 17 is simply not one of such guns.