I’ve always shot mine in at 35 yards.
I chose that distance because my .22s LRs are mainly used for plinking and head shooting squirrels for the pot. I can expect to take out a tree rat out to about 50, beyond that I abstain from shooting.
The .22 Magnum is shot in at 50. It’s used for keeping varmints outta my vegetables and squirrels as well. I’ve killed a couple groundhogs at 100 yards and change with it. Also one that was educationally challenged, and didn’t figure out that the 2 dust spurts he saw were Bullet strikes! The third time was the charm and I paced it out at around 250 yards!
The range at our gun club has a slate bank behind the target stand at 100 yards. When I’m working up a hand load I let the gun cool down between groups.
At that distance a couple clay birds and a 6.5 inch .22 revolver are fun ways to pass the time.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden