Originally Posted by UPhiker
I know how dangerous they are, but I wonder what the chances are of running into one in the bush. I ask because of three things.
1. One of the snakes is referred to as the Common Brown Snake. Just how "common" is it?
2. On a garden tour in Tasmania several years ago, our guide, in a normal tone of voice, briefed us "if you see a snake, head in the opposite direction and let me know". She wasn't trying to scare us, just letting us know that it could happen.
3. Before visiting Sydney, I read that they'd seen Red-Bellied Black Snakes in the Royal Botanical Gardens. When we walked it, I was amazed that they'd be living in a park in the middle of Sydney with people all around.
So my main question is, how often do you see one, and in what kind of terrain?

If you are stumbling around irrigation at night you are definitely going to strike some, if you are in town you probably won't see any, if you are wandering up the main street it is extremely unlikely you will see one.

Browns are as common as muck at the local tip, mostly seen on the dirt road going down the back...but they don't bother me so I don't bother them.

Seeing them whilst working in town is uncommon enough to warrant mention...grabbing one when working in the gardens is an excellent attention getter as it really helps to sharpen one's focus and raise the heart rate.

General rule of thumb is to leave them alone...unless they are in your yard in which case all bets are off and the law is ignored.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.