Originally Posted by mod7rem
Originally Posted by Elvis
Originally Posted by 158XTP
Compression bandage used for reducing transmission of venom in the body.

The US doesnt follow this as rigidly since they dont have as many deadly snakes and for several species compression is not advised as it can cause tissue destruction from the venom in that area.

Australia has more deadly snakes which also may not be identifiable by victims. As such the first aid priority is assume its deadly, apply compression and accept the chance of tissue destruction.

Yep,

The snakes in my area are all venomous. They are the eastern brown, red belly black, tiger, copperhead and death adder. There are non venomous pythons and various tree snakes but not in my local area. So we treat them all with respect. Nothing to be frightened of, just be careful and keep an eye out for them.

At least we don't have grizzly bears and have to carry a side arm when fishing. Or a bear stopping cartridge.

I live in the center of British Columbia so there’s Blackbears everywhere and a high population of grizzlies, but I would still be more comfortable backpacking and sleeping in a small tent here than with the snakes and spiders in Australia. Whether that’s rational or not I’m not sure.
When I as 20 I spent 10 months in eastern Australia bumming around and working. I remember one time there was a great big Goanna digging around in a fire pit in the yard of a place I was staying. We get blackbears here that do the same thing. I was amazed at how big all the different types of common spiders were there. I really enjoyed all the small lizards that were everywhere though.
I guess it’s true that I fear what I’m not used to ha ha.

I think that's the thing - the percieved risk based on limited experience. I would have the opposite fears to what you have ie I've camped in tents here without too much extra concern about spiders and snakes but would be nervous to do similar over where you are due to the bears. Snakes and spiders here won't break into occupied tents and rip the occupants to shreds.

Goannas are fairly bold here. Food must be kept in a sealed container of sorts, usually an "esky". We once had a carton of eggs in a zipped up tent while we went out on our hunt. When we got back we found a goanna inside the tent eating the eggs. It had been able to force the zip open enough for it to get inside the tent. They'll scavenge the camp site also while we are in our tents. They will run away when approached but will stay in the area, usually up in a tree.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?