Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by hanco
Came across a Sako in 222, cheap price.

Would CFE 223 work in a 222, have about 30 lbs of it??? I would have to find some lighter bullets, all I have are 62 grain bear claws and Barnes.

Yeah you will need lighter bullets as that Sako will be a 14 twist. CFE223 might be worth a try but Ive only found ONE load in either of my .222s that shot well with that powder, and it is with a 55 gr. bullet in a 9 twist gun. 4198 is your huckleberry in most .222s 4895 is OK and so is 4064

The early Sakos had 1-16 twists. Know this partly because I have one, an L-461 sporter.

Have tried a bunch of loads in various .222s. As others have mentioned, many of the "traditional" spherical powders, such as H335, are dirty-burning--and not very temperature resistant, which may be important to those who use .222s in, say, Montana, which has the most widely varying temperatures of any state.

Have owned a bunch of .222s, and prefer 40-grain bullets for all-around varminting, because they get the most out of the cartridge at common ranges. The most consistent load has been 21.5 grains of H4198, one of Hodgdon's Extreme powders.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck