Originally Posted by rem141r
i only did kp in basic a couple times. they never let us near the food. it was basically just washing dishes and pots. lots and lots of dishes and pots.

Yup. Did KP a couple times while at the recruit intake center at Ft. McClellan before getting sent to my BT company. The dishes, silverware and trays were done by civilian employees because they were operating commercial dishwashers. But all the pots and pans were washed by hand us lower than whale schitt privates that didn't even have a unit that we could say we were a part of yet.

Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by slumlord
Haha

Permanent Latrine Orderly

No Time For Sergeants quote. Well done.

One of my favorite old movies.

Originally Posted by USMC2602
Love to hear these stories. Never had KP, and was always amazed how much I enjoyed the occasional field mess hall food when we were deployed. Hell of a nice break from the CRats and then MRE’s.

And like OGB said, the mess hall breakfasts never left you hungry. You might schitt like a crippled coon later, but you weren’t hungry!

Mess hall breakfasts are THE schitt regardless of what branch you're in. Even the Air Farce or Denny's can't improve on them, and they were the only effective hangover cures I ever found. I learned how to make my own omelets at home from watching the cooks work their magic on the griddle.

The best mess hall I ever ate in outside of an Air Farce base was the one at Ft. Monroe, VA where TRADOC HQ was located at the time. Being the only mess hall on a post with an 800/200 officer/enlisted ratio, it had to meet the quality demands of all the generals assigned there. I don't ever recall having a bad or mediocre meal there.

Originally Posted by Farming
Originally Posted by OGB
Remember seeing the big cardboard box the mess hall sliders came in. The side was labeled "grade D meat, for prison and military use only".
I do miss a mess hall breakfast, gives ya a nice, shinny pelt!

If this is true it’s kinda funny, also very sad. I laughed at first, but then thought about all the pieces of sheet sitting around getting EBT cards “food stamps “ and sheeting out kids. Probably eating better than those who serve our country. The thought that those zzz holes are sitting around doing nothing while are soldiers are eating prison food isn’t right. Sad state of affairs.

I'm pretty well convinced that the "steaks" we were served over in Korea on 'Surf & Turf" night were carved from a horse. They were meat, but very lean, tough and dry with an off, not-so-beefy taste to them. The lobster tails were okay, but I really didn't know much about seafood at the time, so they could have served me over-sized crawdad tails and I wouldn't have known the difference.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z