USN here during the Nam era but ended up on land for most of my 4 years. Straight out of boot most had to do a month or two stint of KP at his first duty station. Since I had prior experience, I got butcher duty mostly consisting of taking beef/pork cuts out of the freezers, slicing bacon/chops, and catching hamburger patties as they dropped from the machine. Never saw any poor-quality meat coming in but didn't see a lot of filet mignon either. That might have gone to the officer's club. Lots of sirloins, New York cuts, and T-bones once in a while.

Subsequently as a plane captain I did a few months of carrier duty, several months in DaNang, Korea, Australia, Thailand, Guam, Japan, and the Philippines with some of that on Air Force bases as well. Never had any complaints with the grub. On carriers, one could eat whenever the mood hit with a choice of a breakfast or dinner menu. On shore duty I usually tried for swing shifts where we had dinner before heading to work, choices of dinner or breakfast makings around midnight, and the regular lunch doings if one slept late in the mornings.

No sub duty, but rumor had it the sub guys ate pretty well in an attempt to keep moral up. If there are some sub guys around, please chime in.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/20/22.

1Minute