Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Originally Posted by bluefish
I suspect they have always worked. In buffalo terms.i further suspect.they were particularly useful when breaking down said bovine. Imagine a 300 grain solid hammering you through the shoulders at 2400 fps. I suspect if.it did not put you down, the shards of bone it blew throughout your thoracic cavity would have I. Short.order. I bet someone who says they dont work has never seen them used.

I'll take that bet.

I've killed buffalo on three continents. Most in a day was 28 which I've done twice. Most without moving my feet was fourteen. Most in a week was 111. Best combined day (Three shooters) was 81.

What do I win? Never mind, you wouldn't pay up anyway. wink

That is meaningful experience.

What is your preferred rifle, cartridge, bullet, and shot placement?

I killed more with a hot loaded .458 Win M70 than anything else, but have used the 375, 416 Rigby, 450 NE, 300 RUM and 30-06. Used A-frames, Woodleighs, TSXs, Partitions, CEBs, Hornadys, and even a few Accubonds. Favorite is the A-frame by far. The Hornadys I used in the 450 NE Factory loads were junk but are discontinued now. CEBs (Safari raptors) are junk because they break in 7 pieces if they touch a twig. You may get to pick your first shot, but if follow up shots involve shooting through brush you might as well throw snowballs. The rest are pretty good.

I've heard that the CEB can frag if it hits something before hitting the critter.

Loading my bud's .416 Rem, I found that the 400 NPT and the 400 SAF were both very accurate, solids less so. I was using 4064 per Swift info, reportedly their choice for factory ammo.

Thanks for your input.

DF