Not a gun writer, but that I can remember, I've had four. 1.) A 22-250 flat bolt that had some family history. It was supposedly a tack driver new, but when I got it, it had no rifling for the first half of the barrel. 2.) A flat bolt 22-250 I bought at a local gunshop with a 7.5x Leupold. It shot acceptably but not spectacularly. 3.) A .30-06 that my dad bought for me in 1985. It never shot well at all. We messed with it for a few years. Not sure what finally happened to it. 4.) a like new 1974 .30-06 with a K4 Weaver that I picked up for $300 at a combination shooting range / gunshop. After a lot of fiddling with it, it remained a 2.5" rifle. 5.) A .270 round top that shot everything into an inch or slightly better.

I also had a .243. I can't remember if it was a tang safety or Mark II. It shot spectacularly but into two groups spaced about 5" apart. After messing with bedding, I realized the dovetails for the rings were badly out of alignment. Even after lapping the rings, if you tightened down the rear ring, the scope would stick up about 1/2-3/4" above the front ring and thereby putting the action in a severe bind. I've seen that a time or two since on Rugers but that one was the worst.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 02/12/22.