My one and only tanger is a 30-06 Bicentennial model 77 that I bought from a good friend more than 35 years ago. He shot benchrest competition with it and had it in a huge, blocky wood stock.

Over the years I've had the trigger worked on (to make the pull heavier!), swapped the heavy wood stock for a B&C Carbelite, added a Limbsaver recoil pad and had the metal DuraCoated flat black. It's worn a variety of scopes, but ended up with a Leupold M8 6x that just seems perfect for a go-anywhere, do-anything rifle.

Several years ago I lent it to a father and son who were going on their first elk hunt. They were experienced with firearms but new to hunting. Fortunately, they would be guided by a cousin who was an experienced elk hunter. I told them it was sighted in about 2" high at 100 yards using Federal 165gr ammo, and not to worry about holdover - if they were farther away than 250 yards, get closer - otherwise, just aim dead on.

The rifle was perfect for them - rugged, simple and powerful enough without getting into magnum recoil. As it turned out, the son carried it first and got his elk with one shot. After dressing the animal and carrying it out, the father carried it the second day - and got his elk with one shot!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke