Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
Originally Posted by Steve
Question is not what we're going to do in response to Ukraine. It's what will we do if it spills over into Poland, Hungary, or Romania. I don't think Putin moves against the Baltic States (for a while at least).

Europe needs to pull its collective thumb out of its A$$ and start making some contingencies .
I'm not sure asking us to once again save the free/western world is getting traction here.

Agreed, but we do have obligations under article 5. Do we honor them? Poland certainly hasn't had her thumb in her ass. Neither has Romania.

Steve thats kind of the $64000 question just now.... and I dont know that I'm qualifed to answer?
Without a Mega (as in more than matching) contribution from EU in both $ and BOTG I'm not sure we can afford to honor those obligations... but the unintended consequences of VPutin holding sway in that part of the world and where he chooses to go beyond Ukraine...would likely be equally as disasterous.... for more than a few nations' economy.

Looking at it all typed up it looks like a pay me now or pay me later scenario, but a finacially commited Europe needs to lead on this one and I believe the sooner the better.

.... like tears in the rain