Originally Posted by thumbcocker
If you were to buy a new truck today, what would it be? Now this is hypothetical factoring in todays truck and vehicle craziness. I would get a red F-250 regular cab eight foot bed 4wd with the 7.3 and 4:30 rear. Plain jane

I just went down that "what do I get?" path. I have conflicting needs. I've been waffling for several years about which to prioritize. The plan was to trade in my Tacoma on something else. The choices were Jeep vs Superduty. Each choice seemed to give up too much of one thing to gain more of the other thing and I kept coming back to thinking that what I had was already the best compromise I could make. Still didn't make me happy. I waited so long that I saved up enough money that I didn't have to do trade-in, I could buy whatever I wanted and keep the Tacoma .. good plan since it only has 90K miles in 8 years which means it has a lot of life left in it. That simplified the choice: Jeep won out. The Tacoma is a crew cab so I'll still have the ability to haul 4 people and I don't take 4 people to the places the Taco won't go, those places are for me alone. smile I won't be able to haul a camper on the Jeep but I do ok camping on the ground in a tent.

So what's on order now is a 2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 6 speed manual, 3.6L V6, with some options.

The alternative was .. well, I wanted an F250 but the combination of options I wanted was not available on the 250 but was on the 350, so what I spec'd out was an F350, 7.3L gas engine, extra (not crew) cab, short bed, camper package, FX4 package with 3.73 gearing, and a few other things I've forgotten at the moment. Plan was to put a short lift on it, move to 35" tires to get the axles up a little, and get an All Terrain Campers pop-up slide in camper.

Someday when the Tacoma is tired / unreliable, or when my trailering needs exceed the Tacoma's 6500 pound capacity frequently, then I'll revisit the Superduty. I think it, paired with a jeep, will expand my capabilities leaving me unconstrained with some compromises I've had to make so far.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...