Well the original question was the .300 Win. Mag. vs the .300 Weatherby Mag., which would you choose?

I went with the Winchester .300Mag. because I wanted a Ruger #1 in any cartridge and the #1B I bought was the first one I'd ever seen. They came out in what, 1965/66 and I never saw one until mid 1975 to even look at or hold.

I worked up a nice handload running the old Nosler 200 gr. round nose Partition that shot tiny groups for me. I do sincerely with Nosler had not dropped that bullet in favor of a spitzer type. That #1 would run that bullet into groups as small as .375" if I did my part. With the current 200 gr. Speer Hot Core or Nosler 200 gr. spitzer type Partition groups are more in the .50 to .75" range.

Since then I've picked up three more Ruger #1s in the "S" model, all chambered to the .300 Win. Mag. and they all shoot at one inch or less if I do my part.

The last .300 Win. I picked up was from a fellow who needed money. It's a Winchester M70, no idea of which model, 26" barrel, An apparent McMillan blind magazine stock and a Leupold 3x9 VariX II, all for $300. It's another shooter and likes my 200 gr. handloads. It's used as my foul weather rifle as Ruger does a lousy job of sealing their wood stocked guns.

Can't say why, but I just never did have a hankering for anything Weatherby.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE