To be honest after wading through the BS on this thread, it matters little which one is recommended in the end. As the OP has stated, he just wants a new rifle and who are we to discourage that line of thought? In fact, this whole site is built on guys buying new stuff and bragging or bagging on it all day long...

My thought is- if you're wanting to get a new rifle, why limit yourself to the two you suggested as they are so close in performance for all intended purposes? Looking around for something a little different that would still get the job done would be the route to take if it were me. Define your needs for the rifle- shooting pop cans at 50 yards? or 500 yards? Hunting at 150 yards? or 1500 yards? Do you reload? How far do you want to carry it all day long? And, probably the most important factor- how much do you want to spend?

No need to bring the discussion to this site if you don't want to, but it does make for colorful conversation... and even though Big Stick has a knack for riling up the natives here, don't discount what he has to say without thorough examination... he lives for this stuff as anyone can easily see...

But, to keep in the spirit of this thread- if it were me I would think seriously about going with a big 7 - 7 RUM, 28 Nosler, 7 Rem Mag, or something similar in a platform with the fewest constraints for experimentation. Big bullets need big mag boxes and the proper freebore, and usually long barrels. That would be my starting point...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.