Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Hate to see anyone bear attacked, even a touron from NY. It is open country but that doesn’t mean you can’t get close to a bear without knowing it. Even without being stupid. I’m sure all of us would have done much better. Maybe he was not as observant as he should’ve been. Maybe he did nothing wrong but go for a hike.

My house has enough moths in it to feed 3 large grizzlies for a week. It must be a good moth year. Hope to hell the bears don’t find out about all the moths trapped in here.
Not uncommon to run into bears upclose but a large number of "incidents" seem to involve earbuds...

They're not only a hazard in the boonies. In downtown Denver we have commuter trains on the street level. When I worked down there, once or twice a year you'd hear about pedestrians getting hit by a train, and earbuds/earphones were usually involved.
smokepole;
Good afternoon my cyber friend, I hope the day down in your section of Colorado is behaving itself for the last day of June and you're well.

When our girls were younger I used to get quite firm about paying attention or situational awareness both in the larger urban centers as well as out in the mountains.

Thank goodness that seems to have stuck with them, but the lack of situational awareness some people, including cyclists wearing ear buds is really something isn't it?

In Toronto a couple of Januarys back the city put out a big bulletin pleading with pedestrians to take out their ear buds and consider wearing a toque instead of having a hoodie pulled up to block all peripheral vision after the 17th pedestrian that month died walking out in front of a vehicle while doing both. I might be wrong in that it was "just" 17 struck because they'd blindly walked in front of them, but I do think it was killed and then more were struck.

One supposes that if we need to tell people not to eat Tide Pods we'll also need to tell them to pull out their ear buds and maybe look around at least once in awhile?

We live in an area where there are a few grizzlies though they seem to be increasing since the season was stopped for what the government admitted was purely political reasons. Anyways all that to say that it could happen my ticket gets punched this fall or later this summer out scouting on the mountain behind the house, but it will not be because I had earbuds in, that's for sure and certain.

All the best and Happy Fourth of July.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 06/30/22.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"