I've got a backpack hunt later this year, and am open to training advice. I've backpacked before, and hunted from basecamps, but backpack hunting is not something that I have much experience with.

From what I have heard/read, from supposedly qualified trainers, is that your cardio health should already be established throughout the year (hiking, biking, running, etc.) along with strength training (lifting weights). But supposedly neither replace weighted pack training, for backpack hunting. And not on a treadmill, or flat ground. Instead, carrying a weighted pack uphill and downhill. Especially downhill and uneven ground, since most treadmills and flat ground are not good at exercising the same muscles. Makes sense to me, but is that your opinion as well?

Right now, I do weighted pack training 2-3x per week, along with some body weight exercises. The other days, I do weight training and cardio. Plus easy walks with the dog on flat ground throughout the week.

I can definitely notice a difference with the weighted pack training. Just cardio and weight training didn't prepare me for the load on my shoulders and hips. That wasn't much of a surprise though.

I'm pretty happy with my progress, but am not pretending to be an expert. Any additional advice or pointers?

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 06/30/22.