Originally Posted by mod7rem
I train all year round for health using kettlebells and barbells mostly. But when sheep season gets closer I start wearing a pack. You’re right, nothing can prepare your body for carrying a backpack better than carrying a backpack. It gets your hips and shoulders ready and also your feet. I keep it simple by just adding a pack every time I go for a walk regardless if it’s a flat walk in the neighborhood or a trail. I have a few routes on trails that include steep uphill and downhill hill sections, but I rarely do more than 1.5 hrs on these routes. I also find that working up to about 55lbs is very effective even though my hunting pack weight will be heavier. No need to beat yourself up in preparation. I find that consistency is more important than intensity.
I also maintain my kettlebell and barbell work.
In my opinion and experience, the most important thing that makes a backpacking trip doeable/successful/enjoyable, is pacing yourself.

The worst thing to do is to not stay reasonably fit year round. My main sheep partner for years always hated getting into shape each year. He dreaded the process because you have to start from a low level each time.

I started using kettlebells and barbells a few weeks ago. I really like the kettlebells so far, and I never see anyone using them at my gym which makes it super convenient not having to wait around for equipment.

Good point on the feet. The more weight I carry, the more critical I am with my boot collection. I used Lowas two days last week, and newer Hanwag once. I thought the Hanwag were going to work for me, but that was without load.