I had dropped the last 5 deer I'd shot with a 30-30 almost where I'd shot them, with either a 336 or a Mod 64 Win, all with 150gr bullets, 4 Win PP, 1 with Rem CL. 2020 I had run out, so I reloaded Sierra PH 150gr with LVR, and about 2400fps, they where more accurate than anything I'd ever tried, so I figured better off!
That fall, I shot no doubt the biggest buck of my life, really big body easy over 200lb, good rack. I'm convinced I made a good shot, but I never even found a speck of blood. He was perfect broadside and on the shot bowed back up, and jumped straight up high. The rest of those Sierras are for target practice.
Since then, I haven't shot another deer yet, and I've got a good supply of 2 loads ready. 170 Hawk & LVR @ 2220fps, that I'm sure will get the job done!
But I also tried the Hornady FTX 160G. Wow, I've come to a final conclusion, no not proven on game yet, but too many people swear of good performance with this bullet!
And with a Max load of LVR I'm getting 2420fps in my Mod 64 and with the high BC of this bullet, it's doing more at 200yds than a most factory loads is at 100yds, and half the wind drift.
I've since got a dandy Mod 94 Carbine, and it's a very accurate load in both, 2350fps in the carbine.
I even got a box of Nosler Partitions 170g for my 30-30s, but haven't tried them, probably never will, because that load with the ftx is right at heels of a 300 Savage and even the 7mm Mauser!

Last edited by Windknot; 07/02/22.