As mentioned above, fresh trout from a clear, cold lake or stream are best for sure.

Learn how to filet if you don't already know how... eating a good filet allows you to focus more on enjoying the meat vs picking through it for bones! Just my opinion though!!!

Because of their oil content, trout do lend themselves to smoking which isn't very hard and makes for a nice meal/snack. I have a few friends that even bottle/can them like red or pink salmon which takes care of the bones, too.

My favorite, however, is to bread the filets in a cornmeal/flour batter seasoned with pepper and seasoned salt of some variety or a good beer batter and fry them up in butter or oil. They taste great warm in a traditional meal or also taste great "cold" out of the refrigerator! I use a cold beer battered filet to make a great sandwich with a little Miracle Whip, cheese, dill pickles, tomato and thin onion slice on bread... delectable!

A simple filet, fried in the pan by itself, seasoned with salt, pepper, and lemon juice is good too if you insist on being healthy!

As with most fish, wild game, etc., meat freshness and care before the meal are critical.

Enjoy!